Friday, July 15, 2011

Trying Next Year Now


With the disappointment of my "No Dig" experiment I am trying a "Recovery" box filled with Silver Queen corn, Purple King pole beans, and Dragon's Tongue abd Yellow Wax bush beans. I filled the half settled box with a 50/50 mix of compost and soil plus a bag of steer manure. Then topped it with an inch of bark mulch that I have ratholed 32 bags away from Meeks for $1.99 each. I will add another inch of mulch as soon as the plants are 6 inches high and will infuse some blood meal so the mulch doesn't steal all the nitrogen. The mulch hopefully will keep the weeds down and soil just as moist as straw does without the few straglers that sprout from the mulch. The one large stalk of corn is one of only two survivors of my first "Silver Queen" planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment