Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Little Conservation Work

Since the only gardening work I did this weekend revolved around removing a stump in the way of my last two planter boxes and starting a tray of wheatgrass I thought I'd blog about one of my wood duck nesting project. Today myself and my son went out to do a little pre-nesting season maintenance on my South Pleasant Grove Creek project. I have 17 boxes currently in this project. It's located in Roseville and I have been doing it for 15 years now. Preseason maintenance today consisted of changing the cedar beddibg shaving in the boxes, throwing out last season's unhatched eggs along with the pieces from successfully hatched eggs. There are always a few dead ducklings that hatched too late also. I also moved one box to a new location as it had no use in the last two years. I added somw screws and tie wire to hold the lids on some new boxes I added last year (don't want the raccoons getting in). Out of the 17 boxes I had 2 nests being started with 2 eggs each, 1 nest with 8 eggs, and 1 hen already sitting.

I also spent a good deal of my time checking on Katie's (gardenpunks blog)health condition and praying for her recovery. I was elated to see she is slowly doing better. I'm going to be building and putting in my 2 new planters this week and hopefully filling them and planting potatoes.

Here are some pictures of my woodduck project though not from today.



No comments:

Post a Comment