Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Banana Squash That Ate Los Cerrittos

I've grown banana squash for many, many years. I have never had one grow to the length or mass of these two. I have never had one produce like this either. What started as two small plants from Green Acres nursery on Galleria have transformed into 2 giant monsters that have covered 22' foot section of 6' high fence front and back. They also covered a 3' X 16" section of picket fence. Not content to reside in my yard only they covered the east neighbor's side of the 6' fence, snuck through the corner opening and have grown north 12' into one neighbors yard while producing a huge pink squash and also headed northeast into another neighbors yard 12-15'. I have already harvested 10 15 pound plus squash and have 10 more on the vine almost ready to pick. This beast continues to flower and set fruit continuously. It covered and strangled two Goliath Sunflower plants as well as trying to strangle my bell pepper plants. If left oncontrolled it would of taken over my whole garden section back there. I'm going to be eating alot of delicious pink banana squash this winter and giving just as much away. This has got to be far and away my biggest success for the garden this season.

View of 6'X 22' section
bs

Picket fence section
bs

Neighbor to the east.
bs

Northern Neighbor
bs

A Few Fruits
Photobucket

Photobucket


My new frugal wood planters next to the garbage cans I used to experiment with growing potatoes in them.
new planters

No comments:

Post a Comment